We are always on the look out for cute and easy crafts to do with our little ones, and this Cookie Cutter Bird Feeder was the perfect way to spend a chilly, winter afternoon at home! Not only did the kids love making these, but they were even more excited to watch our feathered friends enjoy the fruits of their labors!
Supplies:-Bird food -Cookie Cutters -Unflavored Gelatin -Boiling Water -Wax Paper -Paper or Plastic Straw -Ribbon or Twine -Baking Sheet or Large Plate -Mixing Bowl -Spoon
1. Begin by boiling 2/3 cup water. Once your water is boiling, combine with 2 packets of unflavored gelatin in a large mixing bowl. Mix until the gelatin has dissolved. Once dissolved, add 2 cups of bird seed to the bowl. Mix for approximately 2 minutes or until the seed as absorbed the water.
2. Place your cookie cutters on a wax paper lined baking tray or plate and fill each cookie cutter with the bird seed mix.
Once each cookie cutter is full, place another piece of wax paper of the cutter and gently press the seeds down.
3. Next, cut your paper or plastic straw into 1 inch segments.
4. Insert a straw segment into each of your cookie cutters. This will serve as the hole for stringing your bird feeder.
5. Now, our little crafters can take a break! Allow the bird seed to dry within the cookie cutters for 90 minutes. After the 90 minute mark, flip the cookie cutters and allow another 90 minutes of drying time.
6. Now, gently push the bird seed shapes out of the cookie cutters.
7. Allow your bird feeders to dry overnight. The next morning, carefully remove the straw from each cookie cutter.
8. It is now time to string your bird feeders!
9. Your bird feeder is now ready to be hung!
We hope your tiny crafters enjoyed making these Cookie Cutter Bird Feeders as much as ours did!
Check out some of our other fun DIYs: